Napolitana Lentil Stew
1/2 cup green or brown lentils
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion chopped,
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp dried hot pepper flakes
2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 cup passata or tomato puree (I used 1 cup canned tomato sauce)
- Place lentils in large saucepa, cover with cold water, and set over high heat. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Put oil in saucepan and set over high heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes and sautee for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes, passata, lentils, and 1 cup water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and let simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
|Sister... Stirring the stew!|
Serve with crusty warm bread (or, as we did, with couscous!)
If the idea of lentils offends, then consider...
- lentils are full of protein, fiber and iron and are virtually fat-free
- they are SUPER easy to prepare
- they cost next to nothing
- lentils lower cholesterol and help manage blood sugar levels
- they are delicious served cold or hot
I love using lentils in stews (this one is also great because tomatoes have lycopene (an anti-aging antioxidant). I also love having them cold on top of salads.
A challenge to my readers: If you haven't already, add lentils to your diet! They are superfoods!
|Not the most glamorous shot... But it's a Thursday night... and that means chillin' and watching Hulu shows.|