Wednesday, January 19, 2011

First Things First



Remember that time-management illustration about putting the biggest rocks in the jar first? You know, if you fill a jar with gravel and then try to put big rocks in it's not all gonna fit. On the other hand, if you put the big rocks in the jar first and then pour in the gravel it will all fit.

I'm trying to take care of my big rocks first and then let all the little daily gravels come second.

Big Rocks =

  • Working out every day
  • Eating right (and keeping the right foods on hand)
  • Writing my book
  • Writing my blogs (for those of you that don't know, my day job involves blogging and getting paid for it. Woohoo!)
  • Cleaning my house
  • Getting enough personal time
  • Getting enough family time
Gravel =
  • Checking Facebook
  • Reorganizing my basement
  • Web-surfing / window-shopping for night-stands
  • Clipping coupons
  • Going through thousands of wedding photos
  • Filling picture frames in my house
  • Hanging out with friends
Big rocks and gravel are both important. But it's the big rocks that are non-negotiable.

So far, today has been pretty good. My plan is to get up early each day (5:30am was the goal, today was more like 6:00am) and spend an hour or so writing. I did only 20 minutes today, but hey! Progress! The hubs and I had a leisurely breakfast (pears, raw nuts, and English Breakfast tea + Gilmore Girls: "Lorelai's First Cotillion") and then hit up the gym. I got 3 work blogs done and I'm working on the 4th.

Come on motivation. Stay with me. Big rocks. Big rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment