Thursday, October 7, 2010

Don't Let Your Crackers Go Naked!

Dip Recipes, Both Tried and  New...

I'm glad my readers put up with my eclectic taste in blog posts! (Is this a recipe blog? A writing blog? A journal blog?)

Because I was asked, here are two recipes that make my mouth water. One that I've made many times and and one that is brand new.

The Spinach / Artichoke Dip That Everyone Loves 
(Adapted from Hot Recipes in Cool Dishes)

Preheat Oven to 400

Mix together the following (I always use my KitchenAide, but a bowl with a hand mixer works just fine, too. And this photo is from the cookbook - lame, I know.)
  • 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (approx. 1 cup) Note: If you're out of artichoke you can make this dip with just spinach - just add extra spinach to the recipe.
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I sometimes do pre-grated Parmesan, but grating fresh block cheese tastes best. I also sometimes throw in a handful of shredded mozzarella to make the dip gooier)
  • 1 cup sour cream, regular or reduced fat
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, regular or reduced fat
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach (the original recipe calls for fresh, but I usually use frozen and it works great! Keep a bag of frozen chopped spinach on hand and then just throw in 1 1/2 cups frozen.)
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic  (feel free to add extra garlic if you love garlic... My husband always asks for more...)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until dip is bubbling and top is lightly brown.
(Note: This dip tastes just as good IF NOT BETTER reheated the next day!!!)

Newly Invented Hummus Dip
(Invented as of today... You'll need a blender for this one.)
Add the following to a blender or food processor:
  • 1 can garbonzo beans / chickpeas (Note #1:  Keep the broth from the can, you'll need it later. Note #2: It took me FOREVER to realize that garbonzo beans and chickpeas were the same thing... Brilliant,  huh?)
  • 2 tablespoons tahini / sesame seed paste (Okay, confession:  I didn't have that. So I ground up 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds.... Worked just fine!)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2-3 garlic cloves (depending on how much you love garlic)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 pinch paprika (what's a pinch? Hmm... I just dashed some in...)
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Blend together. Add extra broth from the canned chickpeas to thin out the mixture if it gets too thick. This tastes AWESOME with veggies like baby carrots or broccoli. (If you hate veggies and are looking for something healthier than veggie dip then you gotta try this!).


 What's the best outfit your crackers ever wore? Let me know! :)

2 comments:

  1. I just made the Spinach/Artichoke dip! Oh My Gosh! That dip is to die for! DELICOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete