Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cheapskate & Beans


One of the tragedies of my adult life: Money does not grow on trees.

(Side-bar and TRUE story: I was an evil big sister. When I was about 8 I convinced my 4 year old brother that his Halloween candy corn would grow into a candy corn tree if he planted it. So he did. And I dug it up later...)

>:)

Anyways. So right now Mint (handy little budgeting website! check it) hates me and continuously sends me texts to inform me of what I already know - I have no money. It's nothing new and I'm combatting it as best I can (need a content writer or English tutor? I'm your gal!), but nevertheless it is disheartening. I'm becoming a bit of a cheapskate (except for my fantasies about puppies) and doing whatever it takes to stay debt-free. Thankfully, my husband views it all as a game  ("Level One of the Frugality Force 2010!!!"). Thankfully, my husband also doesn't feel the need for cable TV, enjoys walking instead of driving, and likes the taste of beans.

Poor beans, they get a bad rap. But they are my new best friend! Here's why:
  • They are one of the cheapest food sources.
  • They are one of the healthiest food sources - high in fiber, protein, antioxidants, and vitamins; low in fat and sugar. Go ahead, compare beans and red meat. Amazing!
  • Beans need not make you smell. Use the following method when cooking beans:  
    • Cover in a pot with cool water
    • Bring to a boil for 3 minutes
    • Remove from heat and let soak for 6-8 hours
This method reduces the amount of gas in beans. I tried it! It worked!

So, PLEASE let me know if you have any fabulous bean recipes. Or if you have one that's horrendous (that way I know not to try it!). We just finished a pot of Trader Joe's 17 Bean & Barley Soup. It was deeeeelish!


Comment below to let me know your money and/or bean advice! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment