1. It's Martha Graham's birthday today! Everyone go to Google RIGHT NOW!!! Okay, sorry for yelling... But isn't that the coolest little dancing Google name-thingy ever?! As a side note, Martha Graham is one of the most recognized and celebrated dancers in the modern dance world. I love Martha Graham. However, I love Lester Horton more. (For oddly flexible people wearing unnecessarily tight leotards and moving in trance-like motions to weird elevator music click here... Yes, I dig this. It's like the power yoga of the dance world...)
2. We have puppies. 2 French puppies with ridiculous French names. They are Jean-Claude (psycho, black & white, friendly, maniac, happy, weirdo) and Pascal (acts traumatized most of the time, mostly black, shy, cuddler, hater-of-harnesses & leashes). I'm pretty sure I'm in love!!!
|This is a horrible picture... I really need to take some more pics!!!|
3. I'm trying to flex my creative writing muscles a little. Here are some fantastic creative writing exercises that I found:
- Locate a writer whose work you do NOT particularly care for and write a parody of the story.
- Take any story you have written and rewrite it from a different point of view. If you originally wrote the story in first person, try it in third person restricted. You'll discover that you need to do more than simply changing the pronouns. You should find that it is easier to be more objective about a character you are rendering in third person. If you've written a story in third person, try it in first. This can be an especially fruitful exercise if you've had trouble making the character sympathetic.
- Open a random book to the first page of any chapter. Copy down the first sentence. Then, close the book and spend 15 minutes creating your own story based off of that first sentence.
Happy Wednesday! Stay cool. It's HOT!! :)