Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Year, One Goal

Hellllloooo 2012!

In the past I've had multiple goals every year. But this year I only have one - to finish my manuscript. Sure, I wanna lose that extra holiday cheer that's attached itself to my waistline and thighs. And I want to relearn chess, pay off debt, and get my husband to like Indian food. But all that falls by the wayside when it comes to accomplishing this year's singular resolution.

So how am I doing so far? Well, to start with, I'm terrified. I'm nearly petrified with fear of failure. But I started the actual writing process and though I really need to boost my daily page count, I've got a teensy little bit written!!!

Here's what I'm working on this week:
  • Getting into a habit of regular page count (check out Rachel Aaron's post on upping your word count if you're looking to do the same!)
  • Do a little more prep work to clearly define my villian/hero relationship. I've realized that I really need to create characters that are equal to one another. I need the Voldemort to my Harry. The Professor Moriarty to my Sherlock. The Joker to my Batman! One of the things I've learned about the fantasy/action genre is that every hero needs an ultimate nemesis. One that is perfectly suited to create a unique foil to the protagonist.
  • Figure out how the heck I'm gonna open my story! Actually, I may or may not accomplish this goal this week. But I really need to keep working at it. How am I going to open this monstrous adventure story?!?!? What in the world is Nicholas DOING when he is introduced?!
So that's what I'm working on for now! Here we go 2012 resolution!!

Oh, and as I'm writing, I'm getting to do even more research on so many fantastic steampunk/fantasy items...

How cool is this pocket-watch?!?! I want me one of these!!
Steampunk Pocket Watch 2 by *purpleglovez on deviantART

And Michael Kingery's steampunk walking ship just tickles my brain with inspiration for the side of Myrla'tor that is eternally dark and frozen!

Here's where I found it...

Ahhh, the possibilities!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. http://ruffledblog.com/victorian-steampunk-wedding/

    ReplyDelete
  2. KENDEL. Get out of town. Those wedding photos are amazing!!! I want my life to look like that!!

    ReplyDelete